Case Study: Zehnder Group (UK), Camberley
A Breath of Fresh Air: Increased Print Security and Lower Costs at Zehnder Group
For indoor climate specialists, Zehnder, delivering innovative, reliable and efficient solutions is what they do. So when they identified challenges in their printing security and higher than desired printing costs, they knew an innovative and efficient solution must be found.
As major partners of Ricoh UK Ltd, the UK’s market leaders for office equipment, we were able to identify and deliver a solution for Zehnder that increased security, reduced costs and integrated with their existing systems.
Here’s what happened:
Problems with Existing Print Facilities
From the outset, Zehnder Group (UK) wanted to find a more efficient way of controlling its printing and copying services whilst adding features to increase the security of confidential documents. The challenges faced included:
- A variety of over 15 printers, copiers and fax machines being used across different departments.
- Lack of security for printing, providing a challenge when printing confidential documents.
- No understanding of who was printing what, or ability to control or manage print usage.
- The need for a system that integrated with their existing SAP system and door access proximity cards.
A Secure Print Solution:
The solution we supplied and installed for Zehnder included:
- 5 multi-functional devices (MFD’s) strategically located across the business.
- Ricoh’s Universal Print Driver installed for uniformity across the network.
- Digital card readers installed on each device to read authentication provided by existing door access cards.
- Card Authentication Package (CAP) to improve security by tracking of confidential documents and ‘swipe and go’ authentication to release printing only when the document owner has swiped their card at their chosen printer.
- Enhanced Locked Print to allow users to pick up prints from another Ricoh device on the network.
- FlexRelease Servers which allows users to simply press ‘Print’, then select which device to collect from later – ideal for users who tend to be out of the office or for when people need quick, queue-free printing when they’re in a meeting.
Business benefits of Managed Printing and CAP :
With new multi-functional devices and software to help manage and control printing at Zehnder’s Camberley office, they were able to:
- Reduce unnecessary printing and print wastage as print jobs are confirmed and printed only when the owner uses their swipe card.
- Increase security by ensuring that confidential documents are only printed when the document owner is present and able to authenticate the action using their swipe card.
- Create added security without any additional log-ins, passwords or access cards with print access enabled via existing door access cards.
- Eliminate the need for fax machines, using secure scan-to-email functions instead.
- Reduce office equipment by 66%.
- Visibility over print usage in the business enabling increased control and management of printing costs.
In summary, now that the software has been successfully implemented, users can login to any of the five devices across the network and collect their print jobs, copy documents or scan to their email address. This has added important security to all the features of the MFD’s – and in particular printing and scanning. With cost savings in printing, the solution provided is a cost-effective way to improve printing practices across the Camberley office.
“The real challenge was to find us a solution that not only provided the security and cost savings we sought – but that worked with our existing door cards. Premier Managed Technologies have delivered on all counts. ”
Group IT Director, Zehnder Group